Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

We try to anticipate questions you may have about our association, pool, clubhouse, and activities. If you need additional information, please send us an email at

How do I become a member of the pool?

If you live within the Hampton Chase Homeowners Association sections of the neighborhood (Sections 4 through 11) you are automatically a member of HCRA; provided that you are in good standing with HCRA and are fully current in your annual homeowner's assessment dues. 

A list of all addresses belonging to HCRA can be found at HCRA Membership Addresses. If your address is not listed, then you are not a member of HCRA and membership is offered annually to the following qualified homeowners:

(1) if you live in the other sections of Hampton Forest – you are invited to apply for associate membership and are required to pay the annual dues; or

(2) if you are a renter, the homeowner/landlord may transfer their interest in the pool membership to you, providing the landlord is in good standing with HCRA; or

(3) if you are in a neighboring homeowner association, HCRA opens its doors each year to new members on an invitation basis.  A list of homeowner associations invited for the current year can be found on our Home page.  Please contact if you require additional information. 

How do I get a pool pass (I’m new to the community)?

In order to obtain a pool pass, you must first obtain membership to HCRA (see above) for the current year. Please contact Cardinal Management to obtain an application and make payment.  The Cardinal Management Direct Debit Fillable Form can be found here.  

Once you have paid for membership, please complete the pool pass online registration, which can be found on the Pool page.  Please contact if you require additional information.

Do all of my children need a pool pass even if they are really young?

All children are required to be registered in the pool pass system under the family household, and the following rules apply per age group:

  • All children age 0 to 11 are required to have a pool pass and must be accompanied by an adult member or childcare provider when at the pool. 
  • All children age 12+ are required to have a pool pass but may come to the pool on their own and can sponsor guests at the pool.

Can my children bring toys / floats to the pool?

Children are permitted to bring small toys to the pool for their personal enjoyment.  Large floats and large toys (i.e. water machine guns) are NOT permitted in the pool, and can be confiscated by the pool staff.

Can my children join the swim team? Do I need to be a member of HCRA?

Children in the neighborhood are welcome to join the Chase Club Sharks swim team, but must be members or associate members in good standing with the HCRA.  If you wish to find out more information, please visit

Can I bring a guest to the pool?

Yes, as a member of HCRA, you are welcome to bring a guest to the pool, provided the member accompanies the guest to the pool and remains present while their guests are at the pool.  The member is responsible for the behavior of their guests.  Guests who arrive at the pool without a member present will NOT be permitted entrance. 

The member or associate member must either pay an entrance fee of $5.00 per guest at the clubhouse door (checks ONLY, no cash will be accepted) or use guest passes from their account. 

HCRA will accept paper passes with an expiration date of September 2019 for the 2019 pool season.  Starting in the Summer of 2020, only checks or online guest passes will be accepted.   


How do I get more guest passes?

Guest passes can be obtained by sending a check to Cardinal Management, attention Jennifer White.  The cost of guest passes is $5.00 per guest pass.  You can pre-purchase up to 50 guest passes for your household account each year.  Pre-purchased guest passes will be added to your online account and do not expire, but roll over into the next swim season.  Please contact if you require additional information.

Can I transfer guest passes to someone else?

If you wish to transfer some or all online guest passes in your account to another HCRA member, you may send an email request to Cardinal Management, Jennifer White (email Please provide (1) how many passes will be transferred, (2) your name, address, and phone number, as well as (3) the name and address of the recipient of the guest passes. 

If I have a relative living with me for the summer is he/she allowed to be a member of the pool?

Anyone living in your home on a full-time basis is qualified to become a member of the pool.  If he/she is only visiting for a couple of weeks, then pool passes can be purchased for his/her use during the visitation time frame.

If I want to have a party at the pool, what do I need to do?

Members who wish to have a party at the pool may contact Cardinal Management and reserve the grassy areas besides the pool deck, after completing a rental agreement.  Details of the rental process are contained on the Clubhouse Page.  Please contact if you require additional information.

Can I bring food or drinks to the pool?

You are welcome to bring food and drink (non-alcoholic beverages ONLY) to the pool for your personal enjoyment.  Food and drink may be consumed in the grassy areas, next to the pool deck, but NOT on the pool deck.  Drinks must be in non-glass / non-breakable containers.